My Harvest Foods
My Shopping List
Avocado and Beef Torta
Courtesy of Hass Avocados from Mexico
Serve With:Servings: 4
Prep Time: 10 Min.
Cook Time: 10 Min.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 1 ripe Mexican Hass avocado
+ 1 Tbsp. lime juice
+ 1/2 tsp. salt, divided
+ pinch ground red pepper
+ 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
+ 1/2 tsp. chili powder
+ 1 lb. flank steak
+ 1 (h) loaf Italian bread
+ 1 c. torn salad greens
+ 1 ripe large tomato, thinly sliced
What to do:
1. Preheat broiler. Cut avocado lengthwise around the pit; twist halves to separate; strike pit with a knife blade and pull to remove; scoop out pulp with a spoon; place in a small bowl.
2. Mash avocado with a fork; stir in lime juice, 1/4 tsp. of the salt and the red pepper; set aside.
3. In a cup, combine cumin, chili powder and remaining 1/4 tsp. salt. Rub seasoning mixture over both sides of steak; place on a rack in a broiler pan.
4. Broil steak, 2 to 3" from heat source, until cooked as desired (about 5 min. on each side for medium). Remove to a cutting board; let rest for 5 min.; cut diagonally in thin slices.
5. Split bread horizontally almost through. Spread avocado mixture on top half; layer salad greens, beef and tomato on bottom of loaf; close sandwich. Cut crosswise in 4 pieces.
Côtes du Rhône, Malbec, Cabernet Franc