My Harvest Foods
My Shopping List
Cheesy Number Biscuits
Courtesy of Flour Advisory Bureau
Serve With:Servings: 20
These biscuits are ideal for lunch boxes, parties, picnics or just a snack with milk
Prep Time: 30 Min.
Cook Time: 10 Min.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 1 3/4 c. flour
+ 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
+ salt and pepper to taste
+ 3/4 c. butter, chilled and diced
+ 3/4 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
+ 1/2 c. parmesan cheese, grated
+ 1 large egg, separated
+ poppy seeds to garnish
What to do:
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F
2. Place the flour, mustard and seasoning into the bowl of a food processor with the diced butter and process until the mixture forms a fine breadcrumb consistency. If you do not have a food processor simply place the flour, mustard, seasoning and butter in a large bowl and rub in the butter with your fingers until it forms a fine breadcrumb consistency.
3. Add the cheeses and the egg yolk and process until the mixture forms a ball; do not over process. If making by hand simply mix in the cheeses and egg until the mixture comes together in a ball.
4. Turn the mixture out onto a lightly floured surface and knead lightly. Roll out the mixture until approx 1/4 " thick and using numbered cutters or cutters of your choice, cut out 20 biscuits, re-rolling any trimmings until all the mixture has been used up.
5. Place on lightly greased baking trays and brush the tops of the biscuits with the remaining beaten egg white. Sprinkle with poppy seeds and then cook in the preheated oven for 8-10 min. or until golden brown and crispy.
6. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 2-3 min. before removing from the baking trays and transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely. The biscuits can then be kept for up to 2 days if stored in an airtight container.