My Harvest Foods
My Shopping List
Spicy Braised Brisket Sandwiches
Courtesy of The Beef Checkoff
Prep Time: 30 Min.
Cook Time: 2 1/2- 3 Hrs.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 1 boneless beef brisket, flat cut (2 1/2 - 3 1/2 lbs.)
+ 1 Tbsp. olive oil
+ 1/2 tsp. salt
+ 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
+ 1 large onion, sliced
+ 2 cloves garlic, minced
+ 1-1/2 c. (12 oz.) beer
+ 2 cans (4 oz. ea.) chopped green chiles, undrained
+ 1/2 c. beef broth
+ 1 to 1 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
+ 6-8 Italian or ciabatta rolls, split
+ Giardinera (optional)
+ sliced provolone or jalapeno pepper cheese (optional)
Roasted Red Pepper Mayonnaise (optional):
+ 1/2 c. jarred roasted red peppers
+ 1/2 c. mayonnaise
+ 1 clove chopped garlic
What to do:
1. Heat oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Place beef brisket in stockpot; brown evenly. Remove brisket; season with salt and black pepper.
2. Add onion and garlic to stockpot; cook and stir 3-5 min. or until onion is crisp-tender. Return brisket, fat side up, to stockpot. Add beer, chiles, broth and red pepper as desired; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2-1/2 to 3 hrs. or until brisket is fork-tender.
3. Remove brisket. Skim fat from cooking liquid; keep cooking liquid warm. Trim fat from brisket. Cut into 4-6 pieces; shred with 2 forks. Stir shredded beef into reserved liquid.
4. Serve beef mixture in rolls topped with giardinera, cheese and mayonnaise, if desired.
* Roasted Red Pepper Mayonnaise: Place 1/2 c. jarred chopped roasted red pepper, 1/2 c. mayonnaise and 1 clove chopped garlic in food processor container. Cover; process until smooth. Yield: about 2/3 cup.
* Recipe Courtesy of The Beef Checkoff